HISTORY OF MDC
Since March 2012, when Tara and Gerard became the new owners off Menai Dance Centre and Dancewear Shop, the community of Alfords Point have welcomed them with open arms. Although dealing with change has its challenges and rewards, Tara and Gerard have injected enormous effort and dedication in continuing business as usual during mid dance season, whilst putting their own stamp on the centre. Their commitment to continual development and customer service is evident with the welcomed improvements they have made throughout the centre to date.
Menai Dance Centre has a long history though...
In 1934 “JIM” Osborn and her two daughters Jean and Beverly opened The OSBORN SCHOOL OF DANCE in Lakemba. The school grew to be one of the largest of the prestige ballet schools in Sydney at the time.
“Jim’s” granddaughter Toni took over the running of the school in the 1980′s and moved the school to Menai. In 2000 the school was moved into its new purpose fitted studios and the name was changed to MENAI DANCE CENTRE. In 2004 brand new facility incorporating 3 air conditioned fully equipped studios.
In 2012, Toni handed the reigns over to new owners Tara and Gerard to keep the vision and passion of MENAI DANCE CENTRE growing strong.
MDC students are encouraged to participate in a number of dance exhibitions for local community groups throughout the year. Local nursing homes, special needs persons groups, community events, and local school fetes.
We believe these performance opportunities are of great benefit to our students and enhances their social skills and values.